Tuesday, November 30, 2010

MUSIC REVIEW: OPOLOPO Adds Swedish Funk to Funk Sanctum Radio!!!

Hello, Family,

dj Goddessa here on this bright and nippy Tuesday in Downtown, L.A., where I am at work grateful for the opportunity to be able to share with you some joy and Light. Now that we are here gathered together to hear my recommendation, hands-down the best music so far this week is Opolopo! Amalia Townsend is worth checking out, ladies and gentlemen.  You will not be disappointed. You will be surprised and entertained, and yes, she is an original.

Funk from Sweden?  Yes, indeedie!

“Voltage Controlled Feelings' is the sonic testimony of more than two decades of serious electro, funk and boogie studies from Swedish synth commander Opolopo!  Blending epic Blade Runner soundscapes and Krautrock sequencer lines into cruising west coast beats and beyond, he proves that science fiction and funk are not only compatible, but have always belonged together. 'Voltage Controlled Feelings' is a newly discovered planet orbiting a distant star, that also pays homage to the synthesizers, drum machines and the artists who influenced Opolopo's music.  Echoes of Prince, Herbie Hancock, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream and Isao Tomita can be heard throughout the album.  Fellow electronauts include L.A. vocalist Erik Rico, known for his work with Marc Mac and Tupac Shakur, UK acid jazz hit singer Farah, Toronto-based jazz vocalist Sacha Williamson and Stockholm-based vocal talent Amalia 'Miz Fuze' Townsend.”  (AheadPR / Digital Music Promotion Service).”


Thank you, AheadPR.  Because of you, my music horizons are expanding!.  The more I listen to the selections by Opolopo, the more I love.

Vangelis Live – A Night Never to be Forgotten
Opolopo was influenced by Vangelis.  This reminded me to check out what he Vangelis has been up to recently, but apparently he is recloosing. 

Want to hear a little story about when I saw Vangelis at UCLA in the 1980s (I just looked it up and it was November 7, 1986)?  I took my son who was 14, and we had great seats.  Vangelis played for what seemed like hours, and it was earth-shakingly beautiful.  It was him on stage by himself with his toys and I tell you when he got going, it seemed like the seats were lifting from their bolted position.  My son promptly went to sleep after a few notes which is not surprising because of our family trait that when we are in comfortable seats, the lights dimmed, and music and/or film, we go to sleep.  I tried waking him several times, but he just snuggled back to sleep.  When Vangelis reached the pinnacle of crescendos that only he can bring, the auditorium lifted warp-speed.  My son not only awoke, but bolted straight up and stood up at attention!  I will never forget that moment.  It was awesome.  Needless to say, he did not go back to sleep.  That’s great because guess what, Jon Anderson came out of the audience and went onstage and sang with Vangelis. Rated in the top 10 of concerts I have attended, we will be forever grateful that we witnessed Vangelis live.  If you ever have the opportunity, go see him!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...